Confinement site manure applicators and anyone interested in learning about manure
issues should plan to attend a two-hour workshop offered by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach in
January or February 2021. These workshops are offered in cooperation with the Iowa Department of Natural
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, registration is required. No walk-ins allowed. There is no fee to attend the
workshops, but applicators will need to pay certification fees to complete certification requirements.
“Iowa law requires confinement site manure applicators to attend two hours of continuing education each year
of their three-year certification period or take and pass an exam once every three years,” said Dan Andersen,
associate professor of agricultural and biosystems engineering and extension agriculture engineering specialist
at Iowa State University and coordinator of the manure applicator certification program.
A total of 64 counties will participate in the confinement site manure applicator workshops. Local Northwest
Iowa workshops include:
• Jan. 14 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Cherokee County, Cherokee; Preregister
• Jan. 19 at 1:30 p.m., Willow Creek Recreation Area (5945 HWY 9, Ocheyedan); Preregister to 712-754-
• Jan. 25 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Forster Community Building, Rock Rapids; Preregister to 712-472-2576.
• Jan. 25 at 6:30 p.m., Northwest Iowa Community College, Building C, Sheldon; Preregister to 712-957-
• Feb. 3 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Sioux County, Orange City. Preregister to
• Feb. 8 at 1:30 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Clay County, Spencer; Preregister to 712-262-2264.
• Feb. 9 at 1:30 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Plymouth County (Convention Center), Le Mars;
Preregister to 712-546-7835.
• Feb. 24 at 9:30 a.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Sioux County, Orange City. Preregister to 712-737-4230.
• Feb. 25 at 9:30 a.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Buena Vista County (AEA Office), Storm Lake;
Preregister to 712-732-5056.
In addition, a series of six dry/solid manure applicator certification meetings will be held in February. These
workshops meet certification requirements for confinement site manure applicators and commercial manure
applicators, and will be approximately three hours long. Materials in the program are directed at dry/solid
manure handling issues. The two attendance sites in Northwest Iowa include:
• Feb. 17 at 1:00 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Sioux County, Orange City; Preregister to 712-737-4230 Feb. 18 at 1:00 p.m., ISU Extension and Outreach Buena Vista County (AEA Office), Storm Lake;
Preregister to 712-732-5056.
The workshops serve as initial certification for those applicators who are not currently certified, recertification
for those renewing licenses and continuing education for those applicators in their second or third year of their
Due to uniform certification deadlines, applicators are encouraged to attend workshops prior to March 1 to
avoid being assessed a late fee of $12.50 for those who are re-certifying. Those unable to attend one of the
workshops need to schedule time with their ISU Extension and Outreach county office to watch the training
video. Due to scheduling conflicts, extension offices will no longer accept walk-in appointments to watch these
videos but do offer scheduled dates and times to provide this training. If you can’t attend training during one of
the scheduled reshow dates at your county extension office, you will be charged a $10 fee to view the training
at your convenience.
If attending the workshops or watching the two-hour training video is not convenient, confinement site manure
applicators may contact their local DNR field office to schedule an appointment to take the certification exam to
meet certification requirements.
Applicators also have another option, online certification, through which an applicator can take their training
online at DNR MAC eLearning site at https://elearning-dnr.iowa.gov/. The applicator will need to sign-in and get
an A&A account.
Contact your ISU Extension county office for more information about the Manure Applicator Certification
Program or visit https://www.extension.iastate.edu/immag/confinement-site-applicators.